Sunday, May 25, 2014

Tiger Moms and Asian Americans

Cheyne Fujimoto
Reflection 9 
ASA 2

The article discussed how Asian American parents (Tiger Mom as the mother) use harsh tactics to force a child to perform well by means of intimidation and criticism. However, the article poses that this is a detrimental tactic and praises supportive parenting. 

Although the document discusses various outcomes of parenting styles, I find that the result is somewhat stereotypical from a Western point of view. The high exposure of this sort of parenting weights opinions in opposition of it in face of a more "White" way of doing things. However, I know of many Asian American children who do not have to deal with such things. I believe that it is a socioeconomic discussion rather than one that is racial; I know of many Caucasian-Americans who also had very strict parents.

I do not contact my parents very much outside of Hawaii, but it is because I am busy with my studies and research, not because I was excommunicated by any sort of parenting profiles by my Asian American parents. However, since this is not in my socioeconomic background in the least and because it is not how I was raised, I cannot truly understand or provide commentary for these ideas.

Question: What exactly is the profile of a "Tiger Mom?"


Image: Some random  kid doing homework presumably under the grip of a tiger mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment