Sunday, May 25, 2014

Response 9

Sophia Lam
ASA 2 Sec 1
5/25/14
Response 9: Why I love My Strict Chinese Mom

                This article struck me as offensive at first because it generalizes the average typical Asian parent. However, I found it humorous as it was relatable to how my parents have raised me, although my parents still incorporated Western styles of raising me as well. Often at times, I feel as if the way Asians raise their children is either exaggerated or misinterpreted which creates an Asian stereotype. My parents have been strict on me, but they have always made sure that I understood why they were being strict. Because of this, I felt blessed to have parents to teach me this way. Yet the Asian parent stereotype derived from an outsider’s perspective looking in to an Asian family. Therefore, it seems as if Asian children are living miserable lives which may not be necessarily true. What other assumptions have been made about Asians without firsthand experience?


No comments:

Post a Comment