Monday, May 26, 2014

Super Moms

Ben Weller
Section A02
Reading Reflection week 9
In Response to: "Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior" by Amy Chua

  Reading this article by Amy Chua gave me really mixed feelings. On one hand I understand what the article is trying to say, but on the other hand I see two big red flags in the article. In the article it is discussed that the stereotype is true that Asian mothers always push their kids really hard to succeed academically. While there are given studies to show this to be true, I feel that this isn't representative of how people act as this generalization gives a loss of personality and understanding to the true nature of this stereotype of Asian mothers. I can't speak for everyone as I only have one mother, but my mom is 100% Chinese and although she would agree with some of the ideas and contribute to the statistics, she wouldn't agree with many of the ideas and would put her own idea and reasoning behind some of the statistics that don't match up to the stereotype at all.

  The main issue that I have with this article is in the title itself. Specifically the word superior. To me, the word superior suggests that Chinese Mothers are better in every way. Although in some was such as academics I would believe this to be true, I don't believe this speaks to shaping a child to be well rounded. A child needs to be able to live and have certain freedoms all the while, while learning discipline and values that will affect who they are when they grow up. Furthermore I don't believe that "Chinese mother VS Western Mother" can speak to morale values in terms of what is "superior". There is no one right way to raise a child and isn't even possible considering that fact that each child is different by nature in his or her own way.




Questions: 
1) Can there really be a best way to raise a child?
2) What is importance and difference in nature vs nurture while raising a child?

No comments:

Post a Comment