Sunday, May 18, 2014

Tiffany Is My Spirit Animal

In Response to, “Korean American Youth and Transnational Flows of Popular Culture Across the Pacific”

This article focuses on the affect of Korean Pop Culture on different generations of Koreans while also encompassing how the yuhaksaengs or study abroad students have effected American consumption of pop culture. I found this article quite relevant and almost funny because of how it correlates to my life. I figure I will spend the rest of my blog explaining myself. Writing style or any use of collegiate vocabulary is gone because I only have 14 minutes until 9pm. Basically, before coming to Davis, I had never listened to and kind of Asian music. I had however, given the “cool” Asian kids at my high school multiple looks of judgment as they socialized and talked about the latest K-Pop songs. Plot twist: I would become one of these Asians who would talk about K-Pop with this white roommate. This is, of course, excluding the “cool” part from an earlier sentence. By being in an environment with, what I would like to consider some sort of diversity, I was introduced to Korean Pop Culture and suddenly, was changed forever. Surprisingly enough, it wasn’t even a Korean friend who introduced me to this pop culture. It was a Chinese friend whose close friend is a yuhaksaeng. While reading the article I was baffled at how the idea of globalization and transnationalism have had an actual effect on me. I am actually quite thankful for this introduction to the Korean Pop Culture because without it, how would gush over the newish Girls Generation song?



How has K-Pop affected you? Do you think that the idea of globalization has also played a minor or significant role in your life? Do you like Girls Generation? Who is your favorite?

P.S. Lori, I am sooo sorry if you have to grade this. I am super stressed and only few minutes oh no running out of time. Sorry.

Aaron Handa

Section A02

No comments:

Post a Comment