Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Problems With Strict Parenting

Jimmy Nguyen
ASA 2 A01
Reflection #9 Why Chinese Moms Are Superior

   Growing up in a strict Asian household, the details regarding Chinese parenting vs Western parenting felt all too familiar to me. I was restricted growing up and many of my friends were worse off than me. Although they did well in school, they were never allowed to have fun. They were often ostracized for "poor" grades and were yelled at if they did something wrong. Although many Asian kids grow up to be more "successful" than most, the problem with this strict parenting is that Asian children are deprived of their childhood. Many grow up with low self esteems after constantly being criticized by their parents for their "failures". They don't get to experience the same fun as their peers do and they don't receive the same care and affection that they should be receiving. Many people will say that Asian parenting is "successful" and creates a positive future for children. Although I agree to a certain extent, I would have to say that this method is inappropriate. I believe that every child deserves a childhood and Asian parenting takes this childhood away from children. Personally, although Western parenting is frowned upon by Asian parents and is seen as being too soft or carefree, I would have to disagree. Western parenting is the perfect method as long as their is some sort of strictness that keeps the children focused on their future, but still allowed to enjoy their youth. What good is success if there is no happiness associated with it? After reading the article, I felt blessed that I had a mix of both kinds of parenting. Although my mother raised me making sure I did the best as I can, I was rarely punished for not living up to standards. Even though I'm not the smartest or most efficient one amongst my friends, I can personally say that I had a more fulfilling childhood. Honestly, I feel that my fulfilling childhood and happiness being at home makes me more successful than many of my Asian friends.

Question: What exactly are the statistics on the happiness of successful Asian adults? Are Western adults that were parented differently really that less successful than Asian adults?

No comments:

Post a Comment