Sunday, May 11, 2014

Avoiding Deportation

Tuong Le
ASA002-A02
Reading Response 7
In response to: "I am a man with a heart" by Andrew Thi

Andrew's experiences in America were insightful and shared an interesting perspective. I found his acknowledgment of his family's struggles in coming to America admirable, showing that he didn't take them for granted. Also, his ability to do well in school reminded me of myself, because I had acted out before while using my good grades as a reason to let me be. However, I never turned to stealing cars or anything like that, so the rest of his experiences were interesting to me. I found it strange that he did it mostly out of boredom, but it made sense in conjunction with his willingness to lose the money while gambling. It seemed to be a really positive experience for him to be able to escape deportation, as I was under the impression that there weren't many/any chances to avoid it if you were convicted of his crimes. However, I liked that he explained that it was important to get letters and to show that people believed in you. And his belief in God guiding him away from his past self towards someone better shows how religion can be helpful to some.

Q: How did he avoid deportation? Was it the letters or his good behavior during those three years? Is that enough? How often are people deported despite showing signs of becoming "better" citizens?


This image shows that to this day, the US is viewed negatively in the Philippines, though this knowledge is hidden from the American public. Some Americans cannot grasp the idea that there are countries that despise the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment