Sunday, May 25, 2014

Tiger Cub

Melanie Wardhana
ASA002-A02
Reading Response #9
Response to "Why I love my strict Chinese mom"

Amy Chua's daughter, Sophia, is speaking her mind on the writings her mother published about how she raised her children. Amy's writings were highly criticized as her audience viewed her parenting as restrictive and improper. Sophia decided to let her thoughts be known so that the audience could see an inside view on how being Amy's daughter was like. She wanted to let the public be aware of the fact that it really wasn't as bad as they might think, and she felt as though she grew more independent because of her upbringing.
Growing up, I was also the one who other parents and other kids would say had incredibly strict parents. They allowed me to do more recreational activities than Amy let her daughters do, but I was still expected to do chores and help cook dinner among other tasks. I even learned how to pump gas starting at the age of 11! In my young mind, I would feel that they were simply chores, but at the same time I would feel like I was being cheated out of having fun. My friends didn't have to do chores, why did I have to?! Just like Sophia, however, I am very grateful to my parents for raising me in a manner that taught me respect and responsibility. When I first came to college, I realized that I felt more confident about living without my family to guide me than others in my dorm. Over time, this has grown to how I feel now - confident in my capabilities as an independent citizen to live my own life and know I can survive well.

Question: Is there really a right or wrong way to raise children? Are Asians the only ethnic group to be strict on their children?


No comments:

Post a Comment