Sunday, May 18, 2014

Korean Music Influence on America

Jimmy Nguyen
ASA 2 A01
Reflection #8
Korean American Youth and Transnational Flows of Popular Culture Across the Pacific by Jung-Sun Park

     As I read this article about the growing impact of Korean culture on America, I couldn't help to think about my friends who obsess over Korean music, particularly Kpop. I have many friends who treat Kpop like it's all they have. They obsess over various groups and have multiple "hubbies" and "biases", keep up on the latest music news, and even learn Korean just from listening from the songs over and over. Kpop's control over America's teen culture is steadily increasing every day with various Southern American music groups extending to American youth. The article details about how important this impact has on America and how South Korean music is a bridge between Korea and America. However, I personally would have to disagree. Although I do have many friends who obsess over all things Korean, I have a Korean American friend who absolutely despises Kpop. Not because he thinks the music is terrible or of bad quality, but because many Kpop fans bother him just because he is Korean. He is forced to hear about the love they supposedly have for Korean culture, and frankly, he feels as if Kpop is beginning to become degrading to Korean culture. Although I am not Korean and have not been though what he has been though, I can see what he means. I enjoy Korean music even though I don't understand the lyrics, but I can't begin to fathom why people obsess over it so much. I see various Facebook and Instagram posts about Korean culture that's a little over the top sometimes and it makes me wonder how people can obsess over something so easily. Many people will argue that the Kpop sensation that's sweeping America is a positive thing by directly helping Korean Americans understand the culture they originate from. This is not the case seeing as how young teen girls are crazily obsessing over these groups. There has to be a point of cultural impact that isn't degrading to the original culture. I feel as if this is a problem that Kpop industries in Korea should address instead of ruining the image that they have.

Question: What can the Korean music industry do to make their image more appealing to everyone? Are there people in South Korea who are offended by the rising notorious fame of Korean music in America?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLddEFNDVWI

No comments:

Post a Comment