Sunday, May 25, 2014

Thanks Mom!

Jacky Sam
A02
Response 9: "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior" by Amy Chua

As I read this article, I find myself laughing hysterically, nodding in agreement, and appreciating my mother for everything she has ever done for me. Even though I thought she was wrong at times and rebelled against her words, I learned that parents knew what's best and they wouldn't intervene with your decisions unless they knew it was 100% right. Therefore, from my experiences, I agree that "Chinese parents believe that they know what is best for their children and therefore override all of their children's own desires and preference," or in my words, mom and dad know everything, and I mean EVERYTHING.

I remember as I child, I never understood why I had to achieve good grades. I just knew that every time my mom received my report card in the mail, she would have something to brag about to her friends. She would always remind me that we were less fortunate with the type of education we were receiving. My parents couldn't afford private education, private tutoring, music lessons. She didn't think public schools were terrible; it's just that private schools were much better in her opinion. My mom never went to school, barely spoke any English, but still tried to help me with homework after a long day at work. She did everything she could possibly do to help me succeed, so I believe that I should get straight A's to let her know that she didn't fail as a mother.


Another thing that my mom constantly worries about is my future. She believed that if I didn't start off on the right path, then I'll never be able to get on it. This is where the line is drawn between her ways and the ways of a Western mom. Western moms are satisfied with their children trying their best; if they are not on the right path, then that is exceptionally okay as long as their child has tried. However, with Chinese moms, there is only one path for you to be on and it is being on the right, if not, "best" path.  If I start off as an overachieving student, then I'll  potentially become a studious college student who is trying to receive her Doctorate's in the future. (Straight A's=College=Doctor=$$$=SUCCESS!) My mom stressed upon how people were never paid for their effort, but the ones that are better in skills and coming up with better ideas are getting paid the most. For now, I just know that I'm almost half way there thanks to my mom, who always knew what's best and who still looks out for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment