Sunday, April 13, 2014

Women of Color in Academia Manifesto

Joseph Wu
Section A01
Reading Response #2
Fight the Tower Manifesto.

The author of the manifesto describes how they have been discriminated against due to their gender and race. They have been "abused, bullied, humiliated, subordinated, silenced, isolated, and made to feel inferior." This is quite surprising to me since this seems really extreme to me. I've lived in areas all my life that had, for the most part, fair playing grounds for everyone, regardless of race or gender. Of course I knew that inequities like this existed and had a taste discrimination due to my gender and race, but the way the author described it made those seem like black mailing or illegal activities going on behind the scenes.

Question: Are there specific examples of these occurrences happening? I would like to know more about these things since they aren't disclosed to the public that often.

No comments:

Post a Comment