Sunday, April 20, 2014

Week 1-4 Super Entry

Victor Chen

Week Reflections (Weeks 1-4)


This week opened my eyes to some of the struggles of Asian Americans who struggled to give modern Asian Americans today a place in the United States. My family did not arrive in America until about the 1970's, thus I know much about the Cultural revolution and very little about the student strikes and mass rallies. As one article theorized, Asian Americans followed less the example of Martin Luther King Jr. and more the example of Malcolm X. I wonder how Asian Americans back then took the very black centered thoughts that the Civil Rights movement were advocating and turned them to work for their cause.  


Week 2:
Berkeley has always been really well known for their activism.  Their students are/were some the most volatile activists and also usually the ones most willing to put up contest.  During my tour around Berkeley I once heard a story about how the Dean was locked into a building for refusing to meet with the students and kept in their until he agreed.  I am similarly wowed by the immediate campus support that the student body offered Weinburg when he was about to be arrested.  My inner rebel cried tears of joy when I read that the police car that was going to arrest Weinburg then became the podium to speak out and lend a voice to the outrage.  The student strike lets me know that Asians really fought to have a voice back in the 1960's.  I wonder what other student Civil Movements I don't know about?

Week 3:

This week is mainly about the SCA-5 prop passing and gives us a look into both sides of the argument.  On one side, those less than established believe that they need help for a more fair application experience.  However those with the tools to study for SAT's or even ACT's as well as throw time into their AP classes and potentially even more extra curriculars believe that their chances are better simply going through straight admission.  I personally think that it's very hypocritical of people to use a tool to get themselves to a higher position and then figuratively kick the ladder down afterwards, but such is life.  This happens on a daily basis and I really don't think those attempting to oppose SCA-5 should be seen any differently than the future CEO's and politicians who are likely to rise through the same methods.  My real question is what percentage of the population actually voted on SCA-5 and what was the racial breakdown?

Week 4:

Tuition fees and raises are something that affects me as a student but also as a future effective member of society.  My peers and I are hindered by this weighty four year payment plan that gives us supposed accreditation into a job market that isn't hiring most of us.  Naturally I am opposed to fee spikes.  The Occupy movement happened approximately a year or two ago.  
The most powerful image of the rally came from UC Davis, where students were pepper sprayed by officers in what can be only termed as a tragic use of police power.  I think that the occupy movement set us on the right path, but hasn't truly gotten us where we want to be.  My question, however is, what will get us there?

No comments:

Post a Comment