Friday, April 25, 2014

Professor Hamamoto's Many Wars

Steven Chi
4/25/14
Section A02
Extra Credit: Vietnam War Special Lecture Series #1

In response to Professor Darrell Hamamoto
                Today I attended Professor Hamamoto’s lecture on World War II, the Vietnam War, and the Sansei’s use of drugs. One common theme that constantly appeared in his talk was the United States’ imperialistic attitude that led to foreign conflict. Most of the time, the actions of the United States – like invading Vietnam – were completely unjustified and led to the deaths of many civilians. One thing that I found very intriguing was how Professor Hamamoto was completely against the draft. He borrowed the ideologies of boxer Muhammad Ali and President Bill Clinton to fuel his distaste for World War II, stating that he would never “kill other Asians.” If I were in this situation, I would honestly have no idea what to do. Most recent wars like those in Iraq and Afghanistan occur far away and don’t directly impact me in any way whatsoever. However, if I were alive just forty or fifty years earlier, the circumstances would have been completely different. As a millennial, I feel as if I take my place in society as granted. I should honestly be thankful for where I am today.
                When Professor Hamamoto was talking about his draft, he also mentioned how he had to undergo a humiliating physical checkup at one of the federal buildings in Los Angeles. He said that he was one of hundreds of naked draftees standing in one room. When doctors approached him, Professor Hamamoto had to do a series of ridiculous maneuvers to test for hernia and other diseases. One thing that surprised me here was how Professor Hamamoto was not given any sense of privacy. I’m positive that standing naked in a room of solitude is much more comfortable from standing naked with hundreds of other people. This led me to wonder why wasn’t Professor Hamamoto given any privacy? Was this simply a way to save time and money, or was there a hidden intent to humiliate the draftees before they were sent abroad?
                Overall, I enjoyed Professor Hamamoto’s lecture, and I hope to attend other similar lectures in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment