Sunday, April 13, 2014

Affirmative Action and Asian-Americans

Vincent (Tuong Le)
ASA002-A02
Week 3 Response to “Berkeley Free Speech Movement: Paving the Way for Campus Activism”

The article discusses the benefits of diversity within the college environment, while also showing how Asian admission into colleges has slowed down in the past few years, yet I am not yet convinced. While I am not personally against affirmative action, the wording and view of the article makes me confused and I question its message. I feel like the article needed to more clearly state how affirmative action effects the Asian-American community in the context of college admission for Asian-Americans and also for specific groups of Asian-Americans.

Despite my confusion, I still hold a generally favorable opinion of affirmative action and I believe that the benefits stated (such as lowered prejudice) are good for society, although they depart from the focus of college admissions.

Questions: How could affirmative action help underrepresented groups within the Asian-American community, such as Pacific Islanders and Southeast Asians?
How does affirmative action affect Asian-American college admissions as a whole? Would less Asian-Americans be accepted in general with the current amount of Asian-Americans in undergraduate programs?
Does affirmative action take note of specific groups of Asian-Americans such as Hmong, Samoan, etc or does it aggregate people into the grouping of “Asian”?


Just a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment