Sunday, April 12, 2015

What happens to Mixed?

Ryan Tom
Section 2
4.12.15
Week 3

Article: Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in California: How Higher Education Diversity Benefits Our Communities 

I recognize that in UC Berkeley Pacific Islander admission rates are still lower than the URM (Underrepresented minority) admission rates. And I see the article's argument that there are AAPI groups that face low representation. However, when looking at Cal, I think lower admissions are because of the status of the university. Even White admissions are 50% lower at Cal than the UC System average.

I try to keep in mind of the people behind the numbers. As long as pacific islanders and URMs have an equal chance of getting into the UC System, they are still strengthening their communities. If we're talking about access to higher education, I still fight for the UC system admission percent for pacific islanders and URMs needs to be equal with White admission percent.



















I was interested in where the numbers came from and if they have been updated from the 2003 -2009 Review. When looking at new numbers, I'm glad to see that the percent of pacific islander admits have increased. But now I'm curious about how these numbers were counted. I'm mixed Japanese, Chinese, Hawiian, so am I counted to the pacific islander admits or the Asian American admits? 


























http://senate.universityofcalifornia.edu/committees/boars/BOARSREPORTCOMPREHENSIVEREVIEW2012.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment