Sunday, April 19, 2015

I swear I'm not racist

Eduard Alfonso
ASA 2 Section 2
Week 4 Response
White Privilege and Male Privilege

Reading this has opened my eyes to something we all may have overlooked in our lives. McIntosh makes a good point with the analogy of Male privilege because that’s something I can feel right now at this moment. I can relate to this analogy because I can say I am neutral to the topic of Women’s privilege because I haven’t researched in it. But does that make me any different from being active in the topic? If I were to voice my opinion, I don’t think I would be seen as crazy as a feminist trying to get his or her voice heard.
This is another thing that makes me wonder if I was a different race, how differently would people treat me? I have white neighbors that my parents are good friends with, and they see us as good people. Is this because we’re Filipino and not some other race? Do they rely on their gut that we can be trusted as opposed to the other races in our neighborhood? As a personal example, some African American kids who I used to go to school with park on the street and hang out in the car. Neighbors aren't that slow to call the police to swing by every once in a while.

But, how indirectly racist are we? McIntosh’s list of things taken for granted is a real eye opener. How have we been conditioned to indirectly follow discriminatory ideas that we honestly wouldn't think to be racist. This leads me to my picture, about how we follow the “American” way of thinking. The status quo that decides how people should act.

source: http://thewritemoms.com/2015/01/white-privilege-for-all/

No comments:

Post a Comment