Sunday, April 19, 2015

Ryan Tom
Week 4
4/19/15

Article: Fighting Privatization, Occupy Activists at CUNY and UC Kick Into High Gear 

I was confused why the close relationship between public universities and private corporations is so significant. Also, I was confused as to what was meant when "UC investment managers invested $53 million in public funds in both copanies" referring to Career Education Corporation and ITT Education Services.

I'm more confused about why the UC system has investments, but both companies seem to be education oriented. One being online education and the other focusing on the transition from education to career. I can see how concern arises when administrators and those heavily involve with private corporations are the same person, but I would hope that these individuals are motivated for education and are doing the best they can with their resources.
http://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/regmeet/nov12/f1attach3.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment