Monday, April 13, 2015

APIA's Social Movements and Interest Groups

Arisa Gagarin
Section A01
Week 1

As a current member of an Asian-interest group within the University, I was quite humbled upon reading this article. It was interesting to think that our organization might have not even existed if it weren’t for one of these APIA social movements or interest groups that fought for equality. For a while now, I have been sort of regretting joining my (Asian-interest) sorority, as it has been detrimental to both my academics and finances. But, when I take time to think back on how much it has enriched my college experience – all the friends I have made inside and outside of Davis, all the opportunities for leadership and philanthropy, and the idea of just being a part of something much bigger than yourself – I remember that all of it was, and is, worth it. It’s been decades since the first APIA advocacy group started, and I am still reaping its benefits.

Q: What were some of the “contradictory interests” that existed among pan-ethnic movements?


No comments:

Post a Comment