Monday, April 13, 2015

Professor Valverde's Life in Academia

Amy Hoang
Week 2 Blog

I was shocked when I read Professor Valverde's account of academic bullying that stressed her to the point of losing her child and her own life for several days. I never realized women of color faced such intense pressure from faculty and students alike, because they are expected to be incompetent due to a unjust, biased system. As education is becoming more of a commodity, professors (especially the less prioritized) are losing rights and forced to work in unwelcoming settings. I felt it was ridiculous also that her colleagues would turn on her in such a cruel way, disregarding her ADHD disability. As a woman of color, this situation makes me fear for myself and my career as I enter into society.

I found this video, “The Professors – Future of Academic Tenure,” to be relevant and educational:



No comments:

Post a Comment