Saturday, April 11, 2015

An Overrepresented Group?

Jessica Wong
Section 2
Week 3

Prior to reading "A Quota on Excellence? The Asian American Admissions Debate" by Don T. Nakanishi, I was unaware that universities were putting a cap on the number of Asian Americans they admitted. As I was reading the article, I was astonished and frustrated because I do not think that it is fair to attack one ethnic group.  If all those who are eligible for the school apply, they should receive the same unbiased viewing of their applications as everyone else. Education is a privilege that most everyone comes to America for and I think it is unfair to withhold it from one group. Just because universities view Asian Americans as "over-represented" is no reason to make a fuss and cause a huge debate. The other reason universities want to limit Asian American enrollment is they refer to them as "damned curve raisers" which I think is rather uncalled for. Just because the stereotype that Asian Americans are good at math exists and some studies may support this, should not be the reason for this inequality.  Asian Americans are just fighting for the same equal treatment in universities as others are receiving. My big question is would universities attack any other ethnic group if they were causing an "imbalance" and disrupting the system?


No comments:

Post a Comment