Thursday, April 4, 2013

Why I Teach


Why I Teach


Just to give you an indication of how I approach teaching, please read the poem below by my good friend and colleague, internationally renowned poet, Ping Wang. -Prof. Valverde



Why I Teach

It’s not a job but joy
I see stars in your eyes
My hands open the window to let them shine

It’s not fright but flight
We make boats and rockets with daily words
Together we roam from universe to universe

It’s not ego but mutual growth
In front of truth and beauty
We stand as poets, writers, comrades

It’s not toil but passion
The gardener prepares the soil, water, light
Till every seed sprouts, blooms, fruits

It’s not authority but autonomy
I show you infinite worlds inside and out
You make your own wings to fly

It’s not illusion but illumination
The power to know who we are, the courage
To be true to ourselves despite failure or success

It’s not a drag but a fulfilling dream
To watch you reach your full potentials
Become your own man and woman

The world is yours
Just let it rip
Just let it run

Ping Wang 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment