Sunday, April 21, 2013

Racist? Or not?

After reading Don Nakanishi's article "A Quota on Excellence?", I realized how California universities, especially here at UC Davis, have a huge Asian student population. I think to myself, "Is this just pure coincidence?" or are Asians just smarter? Growing up and attending schools that are mostly Asian, I have this idea in my mind that most Asians are just smarter. I look around in my AP classes and I notice that most of my classmate sitting next to me are Asian. Nakanishi quotes in his article that schools
"have found that Asian/Pacific applicants have stronger group-level academic profiles as measured by high school grades and standardized tests and that those who are ultimately admitted usually have far stronger academic qualifications than other groups of admits". This really stood out to me because it confirms my guess that I have had earlier. I may never know why Asians get better grades, but I do think it's unfair for universities to limit the amount of Asians just because schools are becoming more and more "asian". It almost seems like Asian students are being punished for working hard. If Whites typically got better grades, universities will not "limit" the amount of whites admitted into a university. I find it borderline racist that schools are not allowing Asian students to attend because of their race. Of course, schools will never say that they are "cutting back" on Asian students. However, in the statistics, it shows that schools such as UC Berkeley and Harvard are admitted less and less Asians. Questions remains after reading this article: Shouldn't it be illegal for universities to do this? Diversifying is understandable, but if it comes to denying admittance to a university based off of one's race, would that be considered racist, and essentially, illegal?
Austin Yu
Section A01

No comments:

Post a Comment