Friday, April 5, 2013

Quest to Citizenship in America

After reading "Making and Remaking Asian Pacific America : Immigration Policy" by Bill Ong Hing, I realized how tough it had to be to be able to acquire citizenship in America. I definitely had it good because being born in America, I was automatically given citizenship. However, the article really opens my eyes to the thousands of other Asians who dream of being a citizen of America, but not being able to because of the endless limitations and restrictions targeted towards them. My father came to America through the employment preference system. I understand why my Dad views education as so important. Not only is an education beneficial to one's future, but my Dad receiving his Masters degree in Computer Science granted my Dad citizenship in America and start a family with my Mom. Without these immigration policies that allowed those who showed "extraordinary ability. . . in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics", I wouldn't be alive today. These preference systems are extremely relevant to my life because without them, my Dad wouldn't have been able to immigrate to America. Before reading the article, I wasn't familiar with the immigration policies for those in Asia who want to immigrate to America. All I knew was that it was difficult. Now after reading the article, I realize how tough it must have been for my Dad and those like my father who had to face many hardships to become a citizen of the United States of America. Some questions that still arise after reading the article are: What about those who don't qualify for any of the 'preferences'? What if they don't have any existing family ties in America or don't possess any 'extraordinary' abilities or have an advanced degree? Is there absolutely no chance for them to live in America? After all, the pilgrims practically did come to America and kicked the Native Americans off their land... How is it fair that Asians have to fulfill these tough requirements to obtain citizenship?

Austin Yu

No comments:

Post a Comment