Sunday, April 21, 2013

Birgeneau VS. Katehi; Berkeley Won

Leigh Hiura
Section A02
Reading: A Tale of Two Campuses: Berkeley and Davis respond to Occupy Movements


Even though I was here at UC Davis when the Occupy movements happened and thought I was well aware of its progression, I did not realize how different the chancellor of Davis’s response was compared to Berkeley’s. I honestly felt that it was ridiculous that Chancellor Katehi would try to revert to focus to how much money the students participating in Occupy Davis were costing the University. I do believe that while trying to lower costs, we incur some is a bit ironic, but by no means is it what she should be responding to. The Chancellor at UC Berkeley, Chancellor Robert Birgeneau, handled the situation much more effectively than Katehi did. He appeased the students, which ended the movement at Berkeley while she worsened the situation by blaming and pepper spraying the students. Overall, I am happy that Berkeley initiated the MCap plan, but at the same time, I am a bit jealous that our chancellor was unable to read and respond to the situation as nicely as Berkeley’s chancellor did. The question I have for this reading is why did Katehi respond this way? Why couldn’t she just work with the students in order to make them satisfied and end the Occupy movement?

No comments:

Post a Comment