Sunday, April 7, 2013

When People Unite Then Change is Possible

I found the article Berkeley Free Speech Movement: Paving the way for Campus Activism, very moving. I have not been familiar about this movement that happened in 1964. I was always aware that UC Berkeley was very involved in people’s demonstrations only because of the stories I hear in the news. I found it very interesting that before the Free Speech Movement, the university was very restricted on many political issues. I think that it is amazing that early on people like Mario Savio stood against the powerful administration to fight for what he believed in. I am pretty sure that during that period not many people rebelled against people in power that worked in the University system especially the students. They had a lot at risk such as there education, but believed that it was more important to fight for freedom than sitting back and let someone else determine what they can and can not do. Large masses of supporters came out and it shows that if people unite, many positive changes can be made.

In the United States, what other colleges have had a huge impact on their university’s decision such as Berkeley that we can learn from?

Sarak Ouch

Week 2

No comments:

Post a Comment