Sunday, April 14, 2013

Skin Color in the UCs

Leigh Hiura
Section A02
Reading: Situating Asian Americans in the Political Discourse on Affirmative Action

Going to a UC, I am aware of the abundant population of other Asian and White students. What I did not realize though, was that there was such controversy over who was admitted into the university. I knew it was difficult and that you needed good grades as well as extra curricular activities but this article made me realize that there was so much more to the acceptance process. I do not think it is fair for some to have a better or worse chance of getting into a school solely based on their nationality and believe that whoever is the best candidate should be let into the school. Regarding affirmative action, I believe a more positive way to skew admissions would be based on socioeconomic status as opposed to race. This way, students who were not given the same opportunities as the more wealthy ones will still be given a fair chance of advancing their education. I was also bothered by how Asian Americans were categorized. I do not think we should be considered “black” or “white” because we are neither. We are Asian no matter what time period it happens to be and we need to be in our own separate category. My question for this reading is, why is it that Asian Americans are the only ones that benefit with using socioeconomic status as a criteria and why are they the only ones benefiting in regards to most of the changes with SP-1 and SP-2?


No comments:

Post a Comment