Saturday, April 13, 2013

The First Follower

The "Berkeley Free Speech Movement: Paving the way for campus activism" was such a powerful article! As I was reading it, it almost felt like I was in the movement with the students, fighting for the cause. I thought it was just so crazy, having done what they all did. It reminded me of this really clever documentary that I was watching called the “First Follower” which explained that the person responsible for the movement was not because of the leader, but in fact, the first follower. I embedded the video to further reference. I totally admire what these students did because    as Asian American students, we're often perceived to lack assertiveness so to have read about UC Berkeley- a predominantly Asian University- I was so impressed with the activism involved! This just gives me greater hope that our voices as students are and will be heard. It's amazing how capable we are of starting a movement whether it's through our voice, our moves and even who we follow! My question is though is probably stupid but I moved to this country a few years ago, but whatever I'll ask anyways, what was so wrong about allowing free speech then? 

-Adrienne Salvador

No comments:

Post a Comment