Sunday, April 14, 2013

Failing Education System

ASA Reflection #3
In response to "Complicating the Image of Model Minority Success:A review of Southeast Asian American Revolution" by Bic Ngo and Stacey J. Lee

After reading the article about model minorities it has change what I believed in how other people perceive Asian Americans. I never thought about how people would view me because I am Asian and that I am somewhat smart. All my life I believe anyone can achieve good grades and success if they try but I guess I was wrong. Over the years in college I learned that achieving success and forming your understanding of knowledge goes beyond racial discrimination. As we grow up our communities, parents, friends, schools, and teachers shape the way we grow up. Culturally I know Asian parents would sacrifice a lot so that their child can succeed and other races do follow the same example. But in my opinion Asians tend to follow that more compare to other races. I know my parents would do anything and give up anything just so I can succeed. I believe anyone can do this, its just culturally we as Asians believe more in hard work and success.  I have seen other people who are way smarter than me who are not Asians so I don't think Asians are model minorities in anyways. Anyone can achieve success.

It's true that the American education system was made for the white people and that the schools are really outdated because it the schools were established in the 1900s and follow the American Dream. But now the American Dream is quickly fading away with the shrinking of the middle class as the richer becomes richer and the poor becomes poorer. What if we remake our education system? Cause right now the education system is failing and is outdated. I know this from other articles and documentaries that I have seen and read, such as "Waiting for Superman". The current education system does not help the minorities in success because they don't believe they can achieve anything. But if we give them help and tell them that opportunities always exists maybe there wouldn't be so much high school dropouts who are minorities.



No comments:

Post a Comment