Sunday, April 7, 2013

China town vs. Japan town

Taimu Yamauchi
Section A02
In response to "Asian Pacific Americans' Social Movements and Interest Group"


From this excerpt of the reading, I found the section of “Defense of Ethnic Enclaves” to be the most interesting. Until recently, I did not put much thought into how these ethnic enclaves were formed, and how they function in the present; this is because I just thought the places as a tourist area. For example, I saw the China town and Japan town in San Francisco as just a part of the city, rather then it having its own community. I actually visited the China town and Japan town at San Francisco over spring break, and was surprised with the difference between the two. Japan town, although consisted of Japanese stores, did not seem anything like Japan, due all the stores being American-friendly, while I felt that China town, due to many of the stores only having Chinese characters and the atmosphere really helped recreate a part of China.
My question is: How will China town and Japan town evolve as the United states evolves?

  



No comments:

Post a Comment