Sunday, April 7, 2013

How Berkeley Started it All

Leigh Hiura
Section A02
Response to: Berkeley Free Speech Movement: Paving the way for campus activism

The Berkeley Free Speech Movement was so important and cool because it was the beginning of student activism and made things like the Occupy Movement possible. This was the first large example of campus activism and it was successful which made this event so much more powerful. This article tells the events that occurred during the Free Speech Movement including the arrest of students and the faculty support. I am very impressed with the students who took the initiative to stand up to the University when they were told that they could not advocate their beliefs. I honestly do not think that I would be able to do what they did. Especially because they were the first of their time to do so. The FSM reminded me of the Occupy Movement because they both had similar turnouts in terms of student support. This allowed me to feel closer to the students in the FSM because I experienced something slightly similar. My only question is why did Weinberg and the others decide to start this movement. I feel as if they could have easily just accepted what the University said even though it was not right. I am in awe of their courage.

Berkeley Free Speech Movement

Occupy Berkeley

No comments:

Post a Comment