Friday, April 12, 2013

I found the article "Complicating the image of model minority success" very interesting when the author broke down the southeastern Asian groups down to their struggles and success that they experienced. There are significant evidence that shows that across the board, home life for the southeast Asians makes a significant impact on their education. In the Cambodian culture the family did not have a strong push for education because of the lack of education that the parents had. They were more concerned with the behavior of their kids at school rather than the progress in their learning abilities. I myself am part Cambodian but had a different upbringing. My mom always had 3 jobs and stressed the importance of education to get ahead in life so that I would have more opportunities . I do know of some family members that did not have the same outlook as my mom and the result of that is that their kids did not complete high school. Growing up, I understand the importance of education because I saw the struggles my mom went through to provide a good life for my family. In the article " quota on excellence" I learned the struggles Asian American had to go through to get equal treatment for admission into college. The affirmative action policy treats the minority group, in the Asian American community differently than the other ethnic groups . It seems like since a large population of Asian American are qualified to go to college through there high gpa and test score are being punished because of their growing population. This seems very unfair and backwards. We should embrace each minority group that qualifies for admissions and grant them an education they worked hard to obtain.

Will reaching out to the parent of southeast Asian students early on in their education have a huge impact on drop out rate in the community or does there culture influence their goals more?

Sarak Ouch

Week 3
 

No comments:

Post a Comment