Sunday, April 12, 2015

Higher Education Diversity Benefits Our Communities

Tony Pham
Week 3

This article provided information on the benefits of having diversity in the university systems. Prior to reading this article, I had no idea that affirmative action has been banned for almost twenty years. I thought that diversity was an important aspect that universities and hiring companies took into account. It's interesting that supporters of prop 209 claim that the proposition prevents racism, when in reality, the proposition creates barriers for under privileged minorities to succeed. These types of barriers further increases gaps between racial classes that can lead to an increase in discrimination. Personally, I find that being surrounded and exposed to other ethnic cultures allows me to be more open minded and accepting of people who are different than myself. 


What are other benefits to gain from prop 209?

No comments:

Post a Comment