Sunday, July 21, 2019

Noah Shepherd-Week 5-SS1

In the Reading “Mothering is Liberation: Giving Birth to Alagaan Pedagogy (Pedagogy of Care)” by Allyson Tintiangco-Cubales the author talks about her experience of being a mother of both education and to her daughter. As a continuation of last week’s theme of “Do. Or do not. There is no try,” I believe this is a very diverse reading in that it addresses so many topics covered in Asian American Studies. I really liked how in her explanation of what she has taught her students one thing was that she has taught to implement ethnic studies from early on in school to her students. I like this because I feel like it would benefit the people in the areas where there is a lot of diversity or there is a significant population of people of color. This goes back to Kaozong’s idea of implementing ethic studies that reflects the demographics of that certain area (city, town, state, etc.). Furthermore, it was interesting to see that Mothering and profession can be melded and done successfully. Before reading this reading I thought the two did not mix, I thought one is family and one is work. I still think that with all professions this is not possible but in academia I do think it is possible. Especially if you care about your students like the author did. It was the element of hospitality that really made me like this article. When the author said she welcomed students into her home and office to study and for help, I thought that was awesome. I believe that role models that have a close connection to their students tend to produce well rounded and astute individuals. The question I have about this reading is if there is a way to implement the same process of combining mothering into all aspects of life with professions in which does not include a lot of interaction and or family presence? This reading sparked the memory of hospitality and Vincent Van Gogh’s yellow cafe apartment.     



References 

“Café Terrace at Night, 1888 by Vincent Van Gogh.” Henri Matisse, www.vincentvangogh.org/cafe-at-night.jsp.
Tintiangco-Cubales, Allyson. “Mothering Is Liberation .” UC Davis Canvas Discovery, canvas.ucdavis.edu/courses/392140/files/folder/Weekly%20Readings/Week5?preview=6353494.

No comments:

Post a Comment