Saturday, July 27, 2019

Jason Indarto - Week 6 - SS1


As the last week of the class and having read Academics Awaken: Power, Resistance, and Being Woke, I contemplated what I have learned and what I ought to do with the knowledge that I possess through taking this class. After learning and being emphasized that minorities no matter what race, gender, and orientation, there will always be segregation through discrimination since there is always authoritative power in a hierarchy society. By truly reflected on what it means to be truly “woke,” I have thought about my identity and what I had to deal with as an international asian in a foreign country. I think about the past and the present of what my race has done and what society has inflicted upon the vast majority of us through preconceived notions set by society decades ago. Being woke has enlightened me about being conscious through it all. Inferred from the reading, although there is books and history of discrimination against all races, the reading does not only inform readers of (perhaps what they already know) the discrimination against asian American woman in history (but more specifically in academia) but also it is a call to action. Society has already tried to suppress discrimination centuries ago but people and society are still unfazed. The next step is to try to disassemble this patriarchal society bit by bit and show the whole world the better place it could become where everyone of all races and all ethnicities regardless of status and power are fair and equal. Overall, I have enjoyed what I have learned through the teachings and readings from this class and have been enlightened in ways that have been, up till now, oblivious to me. 
Question) how does people fight back against oppression individually, we know that fighting oppression as a group (or alliance) has an effect but how would you try to face it alone?



Image result for fighting oppression


Valverde, C. Conclusion: Academics Awaken: power, Resistance, and Being Woke. Fight the Tower. 

No comments:

Post a Comment