Friday, July 19, 2019

Bianca Taruna - SS1 - Week 5


For this week’s blog, I chose the article written by Genevieve Erin O'Brien titled “Resistance Is Not Futile.”
I remember writing in my notecard asking if there is any support available for women working in
Academia. Apparently, my question is answered by reading this article. The author is a woman of color
who works as an adjunct professor. She receives a low income, similar to those working as a garment
worker, domestic worker, and restaurant worker. She could not get tenure even though she has worked
for years in Academia. Aside from that, I am glad that she made a Facebook group to help support
herself emotionally as well as the other fellow women working in Academia. Their stories deserve to be
told, and they should not be keeping it to themselves. By sharing, I am pretty sure that it reduces their
stress and stabilize their emotions. This week’s theme is similar to last week’s “Do or Do Not. There
is No Try.” In this case, I believe that the author chooses to not do it any longer. Instead, she tries to
follow her passion for food, politics, and art. I personally think that it is a good choice considering her
wages and job environment in Academia is inhumane. 

Question: Why do adjunct professors not get any benefits and reimbursements?

Works Cited
“Where Can I Find Emotional Support?” Supportive Care Matters, www.supportivecarematters.org/info/wher-can-i-find-emotional-support/.

No comments:

Post a Comment