Sunday, July 7, 2019

Andrew Stephanus Week 3 blog SS1

The reading that I would like to talk about is healing the wounds and ruptures of graduate school by Cindy Nhi Huynh, and how to leave academia by Rani Neutill.

After reading both chapters, once again I was mind blown. because as I mentioned previously, my current goal is to enter academia and become a full time professor at a research university. and I was able to relate to both readings because I will have to deal with graduate school and finding the job in the future. I never really had a person to talk to about my ambitions so it was really eye opening to finally really know what it is about from people that have experienced it. I only wish that it could've been a less frightening experience reading through both chapters. I really related to Rani because I also like being a professor because I want to teach, her statements on how students are evolving towards being a weapon to keep professors in check scared me, I was also able to relate to her when she mentioned about how much she enjoyed hanging out with friends outside of academia because I felt the same way about it. knowing her struggles to find a permanent job terrifies me as I really worry about jobs after I graduate, I also prefer to stay in the US to work here. But knowing that I am an international student, I had to face the reality that finding a permanent job in academia here in America wont be easy. Rani believes that graduate school should prepare the doctorate candidates for alternate career paths because jobs in academia will be harder and harder to get. this reading helped to realize that I need to have an open mind about what i want to do in the future. I should not put everything on being a professor, to prepare myself for the problems ahead.
Second reading was by Cindy, reading her chapter was more of a warning in my opinion. because I am entering my fourth year of my undergrad and I am thinking of going to grad school after I graduate. Knowing her struggles and what it did to her mental and physical health reminded me to be cautious about my body in the future. What I got from the reading was that although there are certain expectations that i need to do and many works that i needed to finish during my masters or phd, my own health should always be my first priority as it affects everything in my life.

Citation:
-week 3 readings by Cindy Nhi Huynh, and Rani Neutill.
-https://lucklab.ucdavis.edu/blog/2018/7/4/job-market



No comments:

Post a Comment