Sunday, July 7, 2019

Amay Kharbanda, ASA 002, Week 3

I would like to talk about the reading, "An offering: Healing the wounds and ruptures of grad school," by Cindy Nhi Huynh.

After I read this, I was taken aback by Ms. Huynh's experience. It was very effective in opening my eyes and making me aware that the academic environment may not always be positive and accepting. I was naive to believe that your professors and mentors always have what's best in mind for you and help you achieve your goals in the best possible manner, however, Cindy's experience seems to speak otherwise. Firstly, the academic community seems to not recognize her achievements as a passionate student. Secondly, her choice of wanting to transition between dissertation chairs had an impact on her image. Seems that criticism is not easily accepted in the community and relationships are ruined quickly. Lastly, her freedom of expression caused some friction between her new dissertation chair and her.

Being a 2nd-year undergrad student, I was not able to relate much to the writer but she reminds me to be wary in the future and mature my understanding of the academic community. Further, her terrible experience with diseases and health teaches me to be more careful with my body and mind. To have a balance between work-life and personal life is key to remaining healthy.


This is a video from Jordan B. Peterson giving advice on how to deal with stress and anxiety:

No comments:

Post a Comment