Monday, July 1, 2019

Annie Wang SS1 2019 Week 1

The most striking aspect of this week's reading, to me, was the power of personal storytelling -- expressed through direct testimony, as well as through more artistic forms such as poetry. As a Materials Science and Engineering Major, much of the research and expertise that I read for my major is based on quantitative data, measurements, and standardized testing methods. The framework of Asian American studies, which blends experiential and empirical evidence is fascinating to me. The anthological, case study style reminds me of another space of activism that I am passionate about -- the movement for universal access to physical products and education for menstrual health. One local bay area activist, Silvia Young, who I've had the pleasure of working with, also collected stories as a means of empowerment and activism. She has endometriosis, a relatively unknown condition wherein uterine tissue grows outside of the uterus, and sheds (like a period) in body cavities where there is no place to go, causing pooling of blood and scarring. For her, like for the AAPI people in academia who've suffered from privileged oppression, sharing the hundreds of stories of medical gaslighting and maltreatment was a huge means of activism.

Young, Silvia. My FemTruth: Scandalous Survival Stories. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment