Monday, July 1, 2019

Amay Kharbanda Week 1 S1

While reading Waking by Wang Ping, I found myself feeling many emotions. Reading the first couple of lines surprised me. I could feel a sense of loss from her as she mentioned not being the same person after the incident with the rat. But I soon realized as I read the rest of the poem that she lost much more. Mr. Ping had her plans for a biology course taken away from her. She went through a nightmare of a lawsuit which ended up making the situation worse for her. Going through the ordeal of betrayal from a dear colleague was something I couldn’t directly relate to. Betrayal is an emotion that can single-handedly destroy your mental health. You cannot easily forget being deceived especially from friends you trust.
In my opinion, the colleague’s lack of sympathy for Ms. Ping shows the lack of a developed character. There is a contrast between her reaction to the death of an animal where she is deeply saddened and her coldness towards Ms. Ping which is ironical. This poem is relatively short but has a depth and cruelty that can bring out intense feelings within the reader. It is Ms. Ping’s unique way of bringing light to her colleague’s actions and expressing her emotions.

Betrayal and its effects – Jordan Peterson:

No comments:

Post a Comment