Saturday, July 13, 2019

Jiaxiong Li Week 4 S1

In the paper Love + Pain = Growth by Melissa-Ann Nievera-Lozano, she co-writes and tells the story of six Pinay scholar activists. She discusses the hardships of immigrant parents and the lifestyle of silence that accompanies Pinoy culture. This culture of silence is relatable to me because I also come from an immigration background with this heavy imprint in my head that I need to suffer through hardships in order to make it. The Pinoy saying mentioned in the paper tiisin mo lang meaning "just grin and bear it" is very similar to my own culture. In addition to the discussion of immigrated families, the author discusses the oppression and discrimination in higher education for these Pinoy women of color. She writes that in order for this discrimination to be changed, people need to form organizations and fight back. This culture of silence and being silence is a part of the oppression and anger should be channeled to resistance. I find her statements very reasonable and I support them although I cannot personally relate to her.

Image result for philippines flag

Works Cited
Smith, Whitney. “Flag of the Philippines.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 13 Nov. 2018, www.britannica.com/topic/flag-of-the-Philippines.
Nievera-Lozano, Melissa-Ann. “Love Pain = Growth.” UC Davis Canvas Discovery, canvas.ucdavis.edu/courses/392140/files/folder/Weekly Readings/Week4?preview=6353489.


ANN NIEVERA-
LOZANO

No comments:

Post a Comment