Sunday, May 31, 2020

Zitong Wang, A03, week 10

This is the last week of the blogging for ASA 002. In this week's reading, "Conclusion: Academics Awaken: Power, Resistance, and Being Woke", I realize the common topics among the last couple of readings. I learned that the reason why we study Asian American history is to better understand the cause behind the current situations in society and academia. We should not solely see improving Asian American's situations as the "battle against the institution", or just the result from as narrow categories like "race, class, gender, sexuality".etc. We should know that this inequality happens because of the lack of awareness and the result of multiple factors in history. Just like my learnings from the last week's reading, we should be open to changes and expect a win-win situation instead of false competition. I also feel so pumped, after taking this course and studied through this book, I realized that so many amazing people have been paving the road for a better future ahead of us. 

I also had many moments of realization which I understood why sometimes people are knowledgable and lack of sympathy. People are naturally not motivated enough to explore a matter in-depth unless they or people around them were affected by it. This explained why I wasn't aware of Asian inequalities in American society because I grew up in China and there aren't many immigrants from other countries. It was when I came to the US until I realized inequality among different gender and race. I realized the importance of reverse engineering also because of the same reason. It is so vital to find the root cause instead of just "fix"/ temporarily resolve the surface problems.


Japanese Americans at the Tule Lake Segregation Center in Newell, CA, ca. 1942



Reference
Valverde, K. C., &Wei M. D. (2020). Fight the tower: Asian American women scholars resistance and renewal in the academy. Rutgers University Press.

Asian Americans Then and Now. Linking Past to Present. CENTER FOR GLOBAL EDUCATION. https://asiasociety.org/education/asian-americans-then-and-now

No comments:

Post a Comment