Friday, May 29, 2020

Jiazhi Xu, A04, Week 10



I finished the book today and the flashback occurred. I am impressed by the history of how Asian American scholars fought for their rights and justice in their communities and academia. This book reminds me of sentences in Coach Carter, 'Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. You’re playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.' I love this part so much that I can recite it word by word, and I feel respectful for minorities who fight against oppression and stand up to advocate each other, and I believe that we need more people to speak out until the system hear us and make welcoming reaction to the minorities, and I also believe that one day the minorities will finally enjoy the equalized welfare and treatment as white people in the states! Even though this class is only a general education class, it brought me more than my major class in self-consciousness, self-esteem, and integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment