Sunday, May 31, 2020

Eden Knight A03 Week 10

Eden Knight
A03
Week 10

“Conclusion: Academics Awaken: Power, Resistance, and Being Woke” had an inspiring message. It reminded me to protect and fight for what I believe. It reminded me to be shameless. Asian American’s have constantly been told to work hard and follow the rules. But who makes the rules? I no longer will follow the rules. I will make my own rules. Women of color in academia are punished when they speak against leaders. Punishment is designed to silence. I am thankful for all those before me who defied the rules. Those who were socially wrong but morally right. I am thankful for them, and with change in the air of 2020, I am proud to see the next generation of morally correct people rising up to show defiance. 

Robyn Magalit Rodriguez speaks about Turning Points in her “Epilogue. Upward and Onward: Asian American Women’s Legal Resistance”. The 2003 Third World Liberation Front (TWLF) strikes marked the turning point for ethnic studies, like ASA2 in universities. 
Stereotypes and fear surrounding minority groups are symptoms of a lack of education. Ethnic studies shine a light on the issues marginalized groups face every day. Educating the public on these issues is the first step to fighting issues. The term ‘Privileged Oppressed’ is fairly new to me but I know the concept. The concept of Asians working hard but not harder than the majority. Asian intelligence but more intelligent than the majority. It’s the idea of ‘be good but not better than me’. The glass ceiling with Asians. Strive and excel but not into leadership. 
I am proud to attend UC Davis. An institution that, although is not perfect, is striving towards a diverse and supportive academic community. As one of the best universities for diversity and women in STEM, UC Davis is setting new rules for women in academia. As an individual UC Davis student, how can I help aid positive change for women within academia?



UC Davis Facebook Post, 20th May 2020

Source:
Valverde, K.-L. C., & Dariotis, W. M. (2020). Fight the tower: Asian American women scholars resistance and renewal in the academy. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
Image: UC Davis Facebook Page (May 2020) https://www.facebook.com/UCDavis/posts/10163710150405215?__tn__=-R

No comments:

Post a Comment