Sunday, May 31, 2020

Weiqing Xu ASA 002 A04 Week 10


We always have to say “good bye” at the end, no matter how unwilling we are. I even didn’t want to read the last story as I can never finish reading this fabulous book by doing so, but I had to. When I saw the title “My Kintsuki”, I was confused since I had no idea what it means and I have the habit figure anything I am confused about when I am reading since I can forget afterwards. So I searched the Internet and found it means “to repair with gold” (as it is noted at the end of the reading). I was so touched by the deep expectation behind the word, since it means “Shattered pots are carefully repaired with dusted gold, silver, or platinum—giving the piece a new life and uniqueness.” Though the authored was hurt, she won’t let it hurt her forever; she will repair the crack of her life, with much more precious content. Like nearly all the great women of color may experience inequality, discrimination and contempt, but we won’t let these ugly scars always be on our body; we will fix them with our courage to fight with these sources of hurt, our support to each other and our strength. These virtues are our “gold, silver, or platinum.”



Question: Any book of this kind to recommend?


Reference:
Valverde, K.-L. C., & Dariotis, W. M. (2020). Fight the tower: Asian American women scholars’ resistance and renewal in the academy. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University.




No comments:

Post a Comment