Sunday, May 31, 2020

Yuan Zuo A04 Week10

Yuan Zuo

In week 10, we read "Conclusion: Academics Awaken: Power, Resistance, and Being Woke." The author said:"We are shamed into silos of silence, and once this cone of silence has descended upon us, we are isolated, and we may even come to believe that we are pariahs." I am in strong agreement. If everyone is silent, the world will be broken. For Asian Americans in academy, do not feel shamed into silence. We should only be shamed if we do not stand out when facing inequity. I remember during the lecture, the professor said:"no one needs to be a hero" in her power point. For lots of us, we may not be active protesters to fight against discrimination or inequality or any stereotype. But, we should always being woke and realize what is going on in this world. We need to know what the right side is and speak for our friends if they are in similar troubles. And I guess this is what I learned from this class: I may not be a hero, but I should not be silent when facing inequality.  The author said:"When we accept these injustices as normal, we will blame ourselves for our failures (and those of others) to achieve success in the academy. " It is true and reminds me who I need to be and what I need to do in future career.



Reference: Valverde, K.-L. C., & Dariotis, W. M. (2020). Fight the tower: Asian American women scholars resistance and renewal in the academy, New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.


No comments:

Post a Comment