Sunday, May 28, 2017

Week 9-Margirie Dublin

Margirie Dublin
Section 2
In the article “Why Ferguson Matters to Asian Americans,” again the binary of a black and white society is brought up. In this binary society we see that Asian Americans are on both sides because there is no definite side for Asian Americans to stand. As the article suggests that even in Asia, where Asians have experienced oppression from the U.S. and the colonialism. Even though Asian Americans may have not personally experienced the oppressions I Asia or even the oppression in America, especially when it comes to the Japanese interment camps where many Japanese Americans were kept in isolation.  Even with or without that experience that history is in our bloods, which I definitely agree with that from what the article said. As a first generation Filipino American, I bare the scars, tears and history of all what my family experienced with all the colonialism that happened in the Philippines. My grandparents and parents migrated to America for a better life, and my father’s side, being those of a tribal community, experienced much violence and oppression. Knowing this violence of my people, I definitely stand for other minority groups. I do not see myself as a model minority, but as a minority, my own experiences in this binary world have made me lean more to the black society. I feel as though if one group of minorities suffers, then all groups suffer. It is not okay to continue to be silenced, and fighting for black rights, led the way to fight for Asian American rights as well. The continued violence and dehumanization of black lives is a problem, and because this is such a big issue, Asian American issues do not get noticed either. It is important for Asian Americans to fight along blacks in order to get their issues addressed as well.
How do Asian Americans make the connection to the white or black society of this binary society? How can we get Asian Americans not to be silenced in this violent oppression against black lives?



Jung, S. (2014). Why ferguson is important to asian americans. Race files, 1-25. Retrieved May 27, 2017


"Listen to We Choose Resistance: National Call on Black and Asian Solidarity." Seeding Change. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 May 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment