Sunday, May 28, 2017

1F Prescreening: Who Gets To Tell The Story?



Link: https://youtu.be/SIEnVLBWbOc

1. Group 1F- Alice Kuang, Gabriel Cenizal, Camille Abutin

2. 

Target Audience: Our target audience consists of K-12 students, educators in the K-12 education system, college students, and administration (in both K-12 and higher education). Those who’ve already had the perspective of reforming our schools’ curriculum and education will support this initiative, while those who support the current education system (and the dominant narrative that is being taught), will oppose this initiative.


Overall Objectives:

In our SAPSA video, we will highlight minority perspectives in the United States, with a specific focus on those of Filipinx Americans. Through relating these complex stories of immigration, migration, and diaspora with their socio-political contexts, we will be able to make connections with political systems outside of the United States that are often demonized and invisibilized. Unfortunately, politics is often inaccessible and impersonal, as it is filled with heavy academic language and jargon that requires background knowledge from the academe to understand it completely. The bureaucratic structure of the academe, specially the administration, also acts as an obstacle for accessibility. By speaking from our own personal narratives as first and second generation minority Americans with immigrant parents, and telling them through a fun storytelling method, we hope to make politics personal and accessible, and inspire the audience to become more inquisitive, engaged, and empathetic to their socio-political climates.

3. INCOMPLETE---missing educational portions (about American ideals vs. Philippines government/ideals) and interviews with other people, which would go after the personal narratives and before the outro 

4. Would like feedback on overall flow and which parts to cut so far (as including the missing elements would make it over 5 mins). Any other feedback is appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. I believe that your group has a very strong video, so far. I enjoyed the personal narratives that went along with the topic, which made it easier to get the overall message of your SAPSA through to the audience. I especially liked the drawings and the background music, since they bring a more fun atmosphere to the SAPSA, and can help keep the audience engaged.
    Overall, I think that the objective of your video matched what I got from watching the work in progress. I appreciated that it was told from the Asian American student's perspective, which made it so much easier to resonate with and relate to.
    If I had to cut out some parts, I would just say to make some of the narratives a tiny bit shorter (particularly the storytelling parts, not the perspectives), so that you can add the more educational portions in to the video and provide a little more insight and more evidence. Maybe consider cutting out the three people's interviews in the beginning if you really feel like keeping all of the group member's narratives (which I do think contribute more to the video than the beginning interviews do), since that part could be the most readily removed if necessary.

    - Sabrina Chou (3E)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your video was really good! The personal narratives along with the illustrations are definitely your video's strong points, along with your overall content. I know your video is a work in progress so I'm sure there are things you want to add or change, but I'll mention a couple things just in case! I think the personal narratives should be done in spaces that are less open and quiet, so you don't get interrupted by sounds like doors opening/closing, and there's less echo if you film in a smaller place with furniture that can soak up the sound waves. I also think the little clips of people talking while the illustrator is drawing is a bit too subtle—I didn't even notice it until a minute into the talking. I think you can either do half of each, or just scrap the video and use the audio file as a voiceover. Additionally, I don't think a few extra examples of how people don't know much about what's happening in the Philippines would hurt; speaking of the situation in the Philippines, I believe a quick rundown/summary of the general situation would be helpful for any viewers that are also oblivious, rather than jumping right into personal narratives.
    I think your objective of highlighting minority perspectives was clear and met, but I think your title can be more specific to that objective.
    These are all my personal opinions so you don't have to listen to me, but I just mentioned all the things I think could be changed. Overall, I think the video format is very good.

    - Jennifer Zhang (3E)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your video has succeeded in getting your message across by bringing the idea of American nationalism dominating Asian cultures. By implementing those dialogues from peers, you give a wholesome view on how this issue remains prevalent. I also really valued the fact that each of the members noted their take on this issue.

    Some weaknesses I noticed were the beginning scenes and the artwork. I think you might benefit from a slightly more serious shot of these so it doesn't seem like a silly random question asked in passing. Referring back to the dialogue, you three might benefit from cutting down on these scenes to make room for your other element. And if you were going to mention the issues in the Philippines then perhaps giving us a run down, maybe an explanation to those that may not actually know what's going on. If anything, you could also try re-filming the beginning scenes, where you talk to someone who is unclear on the matter, then someone who knows what's going on, then getting a statement from them about what they think about the America's nationalist history.

    Overall, I anticipate a lot from the final product, and of course, you don't have to do the things I suggested! I think that you are right there at fulfilling your objectives. Good luck!

    - Melanie Manuel (3E)

    ReplyDelete