Sunday, May 28, 2017

Week 9 - Do Won Lee

Do Won Lee
Section 2
Week 9

            The September 11th attack is something that many that lived through it will never forget. Not only in the patriotic sense that the United States was attacked from terrorists, but also the people affected by it in a non-patriotic sense. People became divided over the issue, some choosing to hate and those that are affected by it. The word “immigrant” received a worse connotation that it ever had before. Those of middle-eastern descent have taken the brunt of it, from discrimination, harassment, and threats from an action that they most likely have no connection too. Those that aren’t even Muslim have been persecuted because of the September 11th attack.
            Immigrants were the ones attacked in a broader sense. Immigrants of all races and ethnicities were given corporate punishment for something that a radical sect of a religion committed. Those living within the United States and those hoping to immigrate into the United States were given a hard time from the people and the Bush administration.

            I actually immigrated to the United States in March of 2001. I never realized until a few years ago that my family and I arrived to the United States the same year as the September 11th attack. My sister was born after the attack as well. I think I was lucky to have immigrated to the Bay Area of California, and that I was also Asian. If I had been of middle-eastern descent, I would’ve had a rougher time and I would have probably remembered bad things that people had done to me when I was younger. Luckily I never faced that, most likely because I lived in a diverse and understanding area and also because of the color on my skin. It’s sad to think that people that came to the U.S at the same time as me may have faced discrimination because they were of middle-eastern descent.
Saedi, G. A. (2011, September 08). The Silenced Victims of 9/11: Part I. Retrieved May 28, 2017, from https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/millennial-media/201109/the-silenced-victims-911-part-i

No comments:

Post a Comment