Thursday, April 30, 2020

Yuan Zuo A04 Week5



This week, I wanna discuss one of the readings: "Asian American Women Students’ Negotiating Power in Academia" written by Shannon Deloso. "You're just a Filipina girl who doesn't know anything, aren't you?" Shannon wrote so. Am I just a Chinese boy who doesn't know anything as well? I asked myself. In my spare time, I sometimes play online video games, there were a few times when other people know I was Chinese, they said dirty words. I was angry but there was nothing I could do, because I know it was just a game and there were some terrible people playing it. This experience could be an epitome of racial discrimination in real life. I was in fully agreement with Shannon when she said:"Due to gendered, racial, and ethnic biases, we are perceived as too passive and obedient to successfully enact structural change within the university. " Maybe we are too obedient as she claimed. Not only Asian people but also Asian Americans were afraid of creating "disorder"  to advocate more people get involved into this fight. Before I went to the US for university, my mom even told me to take care of myself, because I was alone and because I am not an American. “Why are Filipinos always working in nursing or idolizing the need to come to the United States?” Shannon's professor asked his/her students. I have a question too: why are China towns always kind of messy? I do not know if this is only how I feel or anyone else feel the same way? As a Chinese, I really hope  Chinese Town can be cleaner and give more good impression. At last, I hope Asian Americans give themselves more confidence against injustice.

                              High school student activists are taking a stand against racism - Vox
https://www.vox.com/identities/2019/4/2/18287053/student-protest-charlottesville-fieldston-racism-inequality

Reference:Deloso, S. (2019). Precariously Positioned: Asian American Women Students’ Negotiating Power in Academia. Fight the Tower. Rutgers University Press

No comments:

Post a Comment