Sunday, April 26, 2020

Week 5 Blog
Nadya Saptono A01

I would like to discuss this week’s reading “Precariously Positioned: Asian American Women Students’ Negotiating Power in Academia” by Shannon Deloso. Shannon was an undergraduate in SFSU when she was writing this piece. So, she would’ve been around my age, making it easy for me to relate to some of her writing. But yet I am amazed by the level of maturity in her thought processed and what she has accomplished at such a young age. This really inspires me to push harder and believe more in myself. Countless times throughout my childhood, I have been silenced just because “I am too young”. This thought creates a process of self-doubt, what difference can I possibly make? Who would believe and support someone like me?. While these questions continue to haunt me, hearing from women of color, someone who looks like me is very encouraging. 



Question: This got me thinking do you think the notion of “not being old enough to make a difference” is just another form of cultural oppression?  

References:
Lund, Jacob. “Protesting for women equal rights”. JacobLundPhotography. 

Valverde, K.-L. C., & Dariotis, W. M. (2019). Fight the tower: Asian American women 
scholars resistance and renewal in the academy. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers 
University Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment