Thursday, April 30, 2020

Hongyu Zhu, ASA002 , week 6 blog

Hongyu Zhu
ASA 002
  Week 6 blog
According to the week six reading material, ‘’Opening the Box: An International Asian Women Scholar’s Fight.’’ written by Akiko Takeyama. According to the article, the author states that ‘’International faculty are an invisible underclass among U.S. academics: often paid less, prevented from taking some funding or positions that are reserved for U.S. citizens, harder to hire because of additional governmental paperwork, struggling with language and acculturation issues, often facing racial and accent discrimination, and living under the threat of loss of residency if they fail to make tenure or otherwise lose their academic position.’’I agree with her views, I think Asian always get Unfair treatment in academia field. For example, I noticed that the Asian students always need higher Sat scores to be admitted to the top university compared to white and black students. The university admissions officers just think Asian students are smart, and they need higher SAT scores. I feel like this is kind of racial and unequally.
Every university is advocating equality, but there are always inequalities in academic fields. As I am an international student from China, I sometimes get racist by my accent. I am not ashamed of my accent, I think my accent is perfect. I think everyone needs to be confident against discrimination. My question about this week's reading material is how can we reduce inequality in the academic field?


No comments:

Post a Comment